Frequently Asked Questions

We Are Not Accepting New Patients At This Time

(Including Renewals from a Different Doctor)


To learn more about how to schedule an appointment to see our medical marijuana doctor, Dr. Tosha Brown, please review the FAQ below.

  1. How do I get a letter of recommendation to use medical cannabis?

In order to become a medical marijuana patient, you must be a resident of California and have a California Driver’s License or California State Identification card, and have a qualifying medical condition for which medical marijuana can provide relief (i.e. cancer, HIV, insomnia, chronic pain, glaucoma, PTSD, anxiety, stress, arthritis, PMS, migraines, etc.).

  1. Is your office wheelchair accessible?

The Altadena office is NOT wheelchair or handicap accessible. There are four steps leading up to the office door. If climbing stairs will be too difficult for you, Dr. Brown will consider doing a house call. The fee for a house call is $250.00. If travel time is more than 30 minutes from our office, there is an additional fee of $50.00.

  1. What do I need to bring to my medical marijuana evaluation?

You will need to bring your California Driver’s License or California State ID card and proof of your medical condition. Examples of proof of your medical condition include medical records, prescription bottles, prescription history, X-rays, MRI’s, or any other documentation that verifies you have been to a doctor and diagnosed with a medical condition that can benefit from using medical marijuana. We can also help you request your medical records from any doctor you have seen within the past three (3) years.

Please be prepared to show your identification when you arrive to the office and asked the following questions in succession:

  1. Are you a new patient or renewal?
  2. Do you have your CA Driver’s License or CA Identification Card?
  3. Did you bring any medical records or prescription medications with you to the appointment?
  1. What if I do not have a California Driver’s License or California State Identification card?

If you do not have a California Driver’s License or California State ID card, we will accept one of the following forms of identification:

  1. An out-of-state driver’s license
  2. A current U.S. passport (foreign passports will not be accepted)

Along with one of the following that has your name and proof of California residency on it:

  1. Utility bill
  2. Apartment lease agreement
  3. Mortgage bill

However, we cannot guarantee that a collective, dispensary, or delivery service will accept your out-of-state driver’s license or U.S. passport.

Also, if you have been a resident of California for more than 10 days and are still carrying your out-of-state driver’s license, if you are ever stopped by law enforcement and are transporting medical cannabis, you can receive a ticket for the out-of-state driver’s license.

To add, our office cannot guarantee that law enforcement will accept your recommendation letter along with your out-of-state driver’s license. Therefore, you are at risk of being arrested for possessing medical cannabis illegally under federal law if it’s more than the legal amount under Proposition 64.

It is highly recommended to get a California Driver’s License or at least a California Identification Card before getting a letter of recommendation to use medical cannabis.

Patients without the proper identification will be turned away. This is our company policy.

  1. Does your office evaluate children for medical cannabis?

The fee for pediatrics is $250.00. Please visit this page and review the frequently asked questions.

  1. Will using cannabis cure my medical condition, disease, or illness?

Our California Medical Marijuana Doctors cannot guarantee patients that using medical cannabis will cure their medical condition, disease, or illness. During the evaluation, the doctor educates patients on the pros and cons of using medical cannabis. However, it is unethical and illegal for the doctor or our staff members to “guarantee” or “promise” that the cannabis medicine will help or cure a patient’s medical condition, disease, or illness.

While many patients have expressed that medical cannabis has helped to relieve some of their aliments, we never had a patient that has come back to our office to tell the doctor or the staff that medical cannabis has “cured” their medical condition, disease, or illness.

  1. Can the doctor tell me which cannabis strain to use, how much, and how often to use it like prescription medication?

Under federal law, it is illegal for California medical cannabis doctors to instruct patients on which cannabis strains to use, how much, and how often to use it. This is considered “aiding and abiding” due to the fact that medical doctors have their medical licenses linked to the DEA. While cannabis is legal on a state level, cannabis and cannabis varieties are illegal on a “federal level.”

During the evaluation, the doctor will explain the pros and cons of using medical cannabis, the different ways medical cannabis can be ingested, and will guide patients on how they can make an informed decision about tailoring the medicine that’s right for them. Plus, patients will learn the basic cannabis laws and how they can protect themselves from law enforcement.

Once again, our cannabis doctor cannot and will not tell patients how much or when to use the cannabis medicine unlike with prescribed medications from conventional doctors, which are FDA approved. It is against federal law and as of August 2016, the DEA has stated that marijuana (including CBD oil) is still a Schedule I Drug. Other drugs on the Schedule I list include Heroin, LSD, and Ecstasy.

If you are expecting Dr. Brown to “tell you” what dosage of the cannabis medicine to use, then we ask that you reconsider scheduling an appointment at our office and suggest doing more research.

  1. Will the doctor tell me where to go to get my cannabis medicine?

It is our office policy to not tell patients where to go to purchase their medicine. Patients will have to do their research online or seek referrals from friends and family (you can simply do a Google search of collectives/dispensaries in your area).

  1. Do you issue grower’s certificates?

Some doctors are charging clients extra for so called “marijuana cultivation license” supposedly entitling them to grow more than the normal number of plants. There is no such thing as a “cultivation license” under California law.

Any patient with a California physician’s recommendation may legally cultivate or possess as much marijuana as they need for their own personal medical use, and no more. No physician has the power to authorize patients to cultivate mass quantities with a “marijuana cultivation license.”

If a patient decides to cultivate medical marijuana and find that they use more than what’s legally mandated for their personal use, please contact our office for more information. A patient may also visit CANORML.

  1. Does the information I share with the doctor remain confidential?

Absolutely! We will not release any of your medical records without obtaining prior written consent from you. There is no government database that patients are reported to and we are HIPAA compliant.

  1. I get drug tested at my job. Can I use medical marijuana?

Not necessarily. The Supreme Court of California ruled that employers can discriminate against patients who use marijuana for medical purposes. Governor Schwarzenegger vetoed the legislature bill that was passed in 2008 to change this policy. It is recommended to make an anonymous call to your human resources department to inquire about their medical marijuana policies. You can also purchase an at home drug test from a local drug store.

  1. Where is it legal to smoke?

You can not smoke marijuana in “no smoking zones” within 1000 feet of a school or youth center (unless you are in a private residence), on school buses, in a motor vehicle being operated, or while operating a boat. Also, the recent Los Angeles medical marijuana dispensary ordinance forbids patients from using medical marijuana anywhere on premises of dispensaries. In public, patients are advised to be discreet or consume edibles & tinctures. It’s best to use your medicine in the privacy of your own home.

  1. Can I take medical marijuana on a plane?

NO! Aviation is federal. Remember, medical cannabis is still illegal under federal law. Consequently, taking cannabis and cannabis varieties into national parks, federal buildings, on-board airplanes, transporting it across state lines, and purchasing through the mail is illegal under federal law where you can be subjected to fines, penalties, or even prosecuted on a federal level.

  1. Will medical insurance companies cover the cost of my evaluation and my medicine?

Unfortunately, no. Insurance companies will not cover any costs related to your visit or obtaining medication.

  1. What forms of payment are accepted at your clinic?

For your convenience we accept cash, checks, debit card, and all major credit cards.

  1. Now that Proposition 64 passed, do I still need a medical cannabis recommendation?

Yes and No. Please click here to review the FAQ regarding Proposition 64 and be sure to click the link that directs you to to understand more about the new law change. Many Californians are very confused about Proposition 64.

To schedule a confidential appointment, please contact (626) 817-9025 or schedule an appointment online.